Senior Transportation Specialist, Rail
Posted on: November 12, 2021
United States - UT - Sandy
THE SENIOR TRANSPORTATION SPECIALIST, RAIL IS A REMOTE POSITION AND
CAN BE BASED IN ANY OF THE FOLLOWING PROVINCES/STATES:
Canada: British Columbia, Alberta, Manitoba, New Brunswick,
United States: Washington State, Montana, Utah, Nevada, Ohio,
Wisconsin, Michigan, Pennsylvania
Manage all aspects relative to the movement of Graymont's lime and
limestone products by rail. Assist in negotiating contracts with
railroads, lessors, and third-party service providers, as well as
manage a fleet of approximately 1000 leased rail cars. Ensure
product is delivered on time, at the lowest cost possible, and free
of exceptions. Manage service providers to Graymont standards.
Provide a point of contact for sales, manufacturing, terminal
operations, procurement etc. as part of the logistics team.
- Lead continuous improvement opportunities for current processes
within the role to foster further simplification, visibility, and
- Root cause resolutions - identify constraints, root causes,
developing solutions, implementation, and tracking.
- Negotiate all inbound/outbound rail freight contracts with
guidance from the Logistics Manager.
- Negotiate leases, agreements and manage rail car fleet of -
1,000 cars (including maintenance) with guidance from the Logistics
- Manage, and routinely measure, service providers performance to
- Review sales demands for all rail car shipping destinations,
determine average rail cycle times, and make recommendations to
change the rail car fleet size and locations.
- Provide fleet management and tactical planning to ensure timely
supply of rail cars and low-cost utilization of rail fleet
- Track, expedite, manage, and optimize service cost
- Interpret sales forecast from commercial into demand along with
maintaining appropriate safety-stocks fleet numbers
- Calibrate optimal fleet size based off forecasts and improved
efficiencies of fleet management.
- Issue and manage monthly key performance indicators (KPI's)
- Lease Expense
- Repair and Maintenance
- Cycle Time/Service Performance
- Demurrage Expense
- Empty Repositioning Expense
- Maintain awareness of all industry developments via key trade
associations, councils, conferences, publications, etc.
- In conjunction with finance, develop and input into budget
tools, terminal freight cost forecasts
- Support the Logistics Manager working with both internal
(sales, operations, manufacturing) and external (service providers,
agencies, customers) representing rail shipping.
- Drive tactical improvement and cost reduction initiatives
ensuring rail service a value-add to the organization.
- Coordinate and prioritize day to day movement of rail cars to
facilities and customers using efficient routings
- Deliver timely and effective communication of any service
exceptions or change of ETAs; develop and communicate recovery
- Act as an effective and proactive liaison to multiple
departments such as supply chain, sales, terminal and plant
management, as well as, maintenance shops and storage yards
- Submit railcar bad orders to schedule repairs, etc.
- Maintain positive and productive working relationships with key
- Create manual waybills and or diversions on railroad websites
using the correct route, destination, car numbers, weights,
- Analyze invoices and create purchase requisitions in JDE and
ensure purchase order release process is accomplished timely and
- Retrieve,validate and scan supply chain related invoices and
create purchase orders timely and accurately in accordance with the
Procure to Pay (P2P) process. Communicate directly with Graymont
Accounts Payable and dispute incorrect invoices directly with
supply chain suppliers.
- Review supply chain blanket order purchase order requirements,
maintain purchase order tracking spreadsheet, create new purchase
orders and update current purchase orders with new amounts.
- Manage/Oversee Rail Tracing System - Shipxpress
- Create shipment reports and other ad hoc reports in
- Car location
- Bad Order
- Dwell time
- Cycle Time
- Enter and maintain private fleet information including physical
car characteristics, lease term information, and the current fleet
allocation in an ERP system, Shipxpress and an excel database.
- Oversee the repairs and maintenance of rail fleet. Maintain
budget of repairs and overall fleet.
- Assist in the review and implementation of new technology (Yard
Management Systems and Tracking Tools) for integration of
visibility and metric tracking for the logistics team and other
- Integrate analysis of data to provide necessary business
insights and make recommendations to improve the business and
optimize our fleet QUALIFICATIONS:
- Rail experience demonstrating progressive leadership ability in
a Logistics/Supply Chain environment.
- Undergraduate degree
- Industry certification preferred: PLog., APICS, or other
Logistics/Supply Chain Association designation.
- Strong initiative and motivation to understand the business,
identify, investigate, and take action on value creation
- Strong organizational and analytical skills with the ability to
work both independently and in a team environment to meet
- Drive to overcome obstacles and successfully complete what is
started; focused squarely on value-added priorities.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain effective and
collaborative working relationships across functions, departments,
- Excellent verbal, written and presentation skills; able to
adapt the message to the audience.
- Financial and business acumen
- Basic Computer knowledge, JDE or other ERP systems experience a
plus, Prolific in Microsoft Suite, Excel, experience in pivot
tables a plus
- Problem solving, complex, and decentralized inventory
- Ability to travel up to 10% of time.
Keywords: Graymont, Sandy , Senior Transportation Specialist, Rail, Accounting, Auditing , Sandy, Utah
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!