Chief Risk Officer
Company: Sunwest Bank
Posted on: June 18, 2022
SUMMARY Provides leadership and strategic oversight to the
bank's risk management teams responsible for the Audit Program,
regulatory compliance program, Community Reinvestment Act (CRA)
compliance, Bank Secrecy Act (BSA) compliance, physical security,
and fraud mitigation. Develops and implements strategic and
tactical risk management solutions to protect and minimize risk to
the Bank as the institution scales. Responsible for driving a
strong culture of compliance through partnership with line of
business leaders and key stakeholders, continuously demonstrating
integrity and professional judgment in protecting the interests of
Sunwest Bank and its clients. ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND
- Shares knowledge of risk management frameworks, corporate
governance, processes, project management, bank operations,
products and services, and regulation to ensure effective risk
management. Trains, educates, and assists others as needed to
- Manages and leads a team of risk management professionals with
responsibility for providing oversight and leadership in the
changing regulatory environment and overseeing compliance risk
management activities in accordance with enterprise compliance
- Supports the development of a holistic risk management
framework by collaborating with other departments and lines of
business to review and evaluate risks and controls.
- Coordinates with bank management to determine risk appetites
and tolerance levels and communicate those to all lines of
- Acts as an internal advisor/partner to Bank business units
regarding risk management matters (e.g. controls, best practices,
and industry developments.) Assists business units in understanding
regulatory responsibilities and best practices.
- Builds effective relationships with peer banks, trade
associations, industry and regulatory authorities and others to
obtain information to evaluate risk.
- Directs routine monitoring of regulatory requirements as well
as periodic review and assessment of state and federal regulatory
compliance requirements to include analysis of business impact for
enacted laws/regulations and recommended company compliance actions
to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Provides compliance and risk management subject matter
expertise for project/process/product (including service and
delivery channel) initiatives to ensure proactive identification of
risks and the design of strategic and tactical regulatory
- Facilitates formal and informal risk management meetings to
address risks and control deficiencies identified through internal
risk assessment and independent assessment, audit, and
examinations; ensuring the Bank meets deadlines for resolving
- Serves as a member of and supports other risk management roles,
including operating risk framework and/or committees (e.g. IT
Steering Committee and Compliance Committee).
- Manages federal/state regulatory agency relationships to obtain
regulatory approvals and provides required regulatory feedback.
Responsible for managing relationships with audit firms and other
- Evaluates the type of transactions that will be caused to occur
if certain client relationships or activities are established and
evaluates metrics and/or monitoring and control procedures that
need to be implemented to mitigate the transactional risks.
- Evaluates results of audits, examinations, investigations,
prepares reports of findings, and suggests appropriate risk
limitations to management.
- Participates in strategic planning and works with the Bank's
Board Audit Committee and the Senior Management Team to inform all
parties of risks faced by the Bank and formulates actions plans as
- Develops teams through coaching and mentoring - creates growth
opportunities for team members. ADDITIONAL RESPONSIBILITIES
- Demonstrates high degree of professionalism in communication,
attitude and teamwork with customers, peers and management.
- Demonstrates high level of quality work, attendance and
- Adheres to all company policies and procedures as well as
local, state and federal laws.
- Additional duties as assigned as it relates to the position.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIESThis position oversees other risk
management professionalsMINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS
- Prior experience as a Risk Management Officer for a Commercial
Bank in excess of $1.5B in assets, and/or five or more years of
risk, compliance, or audit experience in the banking industry
- Minimum education: Bachelor's Degree.
- Experienced collaborating across departments and lines of
business on complex projects.
- Strong formal communication and presentation skills in front of
variety of audiences (front-line staff, board of directors,
regulators and auditors).
- SOX/COSO & FDICIA control framework expertise.
- Expert knowledge of bank regulatory, safety and soundness, and
CRA compliance requirements.
- Experience overseeing state and federal bank examinations as
well as internal and external audits.
- Physical security experience; including, incident response
management, and disaster recovery. Information security experience
and cyber event risk management is highly preferred.
- Experience overseeing vendor management compliance programs,
including the selection and ongoing monitoring of critical vendor
- Certification in risk management, audit or compliance
preferred, but not a requirement. COMPETENCIES:
- Decision Making
- Change agent
Keywords: Sunwest Bank, Sandy , Chief Risk Officer, Executive , Sandy, Utah
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!